Madrigal slams Villar-Legarda ‘song-dance’ politics

edited February 2010 in Other News and Articles
PDI - Jerry E. Esplanada (14Feb10)Madrigal slams Villar-Legarda ‘song-dance’ politics

By Jerry E. Esplanada
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 18:23:00 02/14/2010

Filed Under: Eleksyon 2010, Inquirer Politics

MANILA, Philippines -- "Drop a coin in the box and the monkeys start dancing," Senator Ma. Ana Consuelo "Jamby' Madrigal said on Sunday, in chiding fellow presidential candidate, Sen. Manuel "Manny" Villar and running mate, Sen. Loren Legarda, about their "very trapo song-and-dance routine" in Nacionalista Party campaign sorties.

"Just goes to show how little respect they have for Filipino voters' intelligence...Are they running for the country's top posts or auditioning for movie parts?" Madrigal told the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Sunday.

The independent presidential bet, who earlier said she regretted resorting to the same tactics when she first ran for senator, said "those who run on the strength of personalities and not on platform have to resort to these antics to be noticed."

"This kind of thinking is what perpetuates Villar and Legarda's brand of trapo (traditional politician) politics which has kept our country from progressing," Madrigal also said.

Villar, the NP standard bearer in the May polls, reportedly broke into a lip-synched version of controversial TV host Willie Revillame's "Ikaw na Nga" (It’s Really You) to cap a recent rally in Cavite.

Legarda, on the other hand, sang the Carpenters' "I Won't Last a Day Without You."

The tandem also entertained the crowd during a similar rally in Laguna.

Interviewed at the La Mesa Dam Ecopark in East Fairview, Quezon City, where she headed a tree-planting event, Madrigal noted that the campaign period had just started, but "there's already too much song and dance, too much Hollywood."

"Wag naman natin gaguhin ang taong-bayan (Let’s not fool the people). I think Pinoys are more intelligent than that. If they want a person who can sing and dance and act, well, get an actor. Who are we? But if they want a leader who is running on principled politics, then you have to elect someone with a clean record who stands for a platform," she asserted.

Madrigal, who is determined to pull off a one-woman show in her presidential bid this year, emphasized "politics should be divorced from personalities. It should be platform-based."

She also took Villar to task for defending celebrity endorsers in his poll campaign.

So far, Villar got comedians Dolphy and Michael V, singer-actress Sarah Geronimo, and Revillame as his campaign endorsers.

Madrigal said she would "not use showbiz personalities to prop up my popularity because I've already been a senator for six years. People know me and people already know my track record."

"Now that people are aware of me, you should raise the bar when you're running for president. But if some film or TV stars volunteer and they believe I should be president, then it is up to them to endorse me," she said.

Elected senator during the 2004 national polls, Madrigal admitted paying popular actress Judy Ann Santos to star in her campaign ad that year.

But Madrigal said, "I've seen the folly of my ways" as she promised not to repeat her "mistake."

The senator said she would "come up with paid ads (in the trimedia) at the appropriate time."

"I have no intention of competing with other candidates for airtime because Mr. Villar has bought all the airtime you barely can’t get anything. So if it's only a matter of airtime, the richest person will always be the country's president. But I think God loves us enough not to make that a reality," she said.

Unlike other presidential candidates, Madrigal has not put up her campaign headquarters.

"We have an office in Madrigal building (in Makati City), but not a headquarters where people can volunteer. Campaigning has changed so much. There's the internet. So for now, we will just keep our office instead of putting up posters and all," she explained.

According to Madrigal, she did not mind being called "one of the bottom-dwellers in poll surveys."

"I may be a bottom-dweller but I am not a bottom-feeder. Unlike you-know-who, I don't feed on lies, misrepresentation and fake propaganda. I have the humility to admit I am one of the so-called bottom-dwellers, but I will still fight because I'm fighting for principles," she added.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/...-dance-politics

If only I can comment dun sa article in the inquirer, I already did so....IAADVICE KO LANG SANA KAY MS MADRIGAL, TO PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON THEIR OWN CAMPAIGN ...EACH TO HIS/HER OWN. LEAVE OTHERS......STOP CRITICIZING EACH OTHER. DOING WHAT SHE IS DOING, ONLY SHOWS WHAT IS HER CONCERN....PURO BATIKOS SA KAPWA. ANG PANGIT SA PANDINIG NA 'MISTAKE' WHEN SHE SOUGHT MS. JUDY ANN'S HELP WHE SHE RUN FOR SENATOR. ANO KAYANG MA-FEEL NI JUDY ANN?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Wag niyo masyado seryosohin si JAMBY MADRIGAL... may sayad na yata yan... wala ng bukam bibig MANNY VILLAR... obsessed na kay MANNY VILLAR.
  • edited February 2010
    sorry double posting
  • edited February 2010
    sigurado ako walang nakuhang mag eendorse sa kaniya kaya naghihimutuk. of course ate juds will not campiagn for her na anoh. after all ng nasabi niya? hay yay yay CHECK [img]https://sarahgeronimo.com/uploads/ipb/style_emoticons/legacy/SG Picture Picture.png ][/img]
  • edited February 2010
    korek!!1
    taga Bicol pa naman toh..
    nakakhiya..
    tsk..
    nung inindorse cya ni Judai binoto ko cya..
    pero walng nagawa sa senado kundi umarte at maghanap ng mga kasiraan ng mga kasama nya..
    parang cya perfect.!
    kumusta naman ang issue about sa mana na pinag awayan ng pamilya nya.
    napaghahalata lang na ............
    naku..ayaw ko na magsalita baka mapunish ako ng mga moderators...
    ayaw ko ma- bann dito sa site nuh!!!!
    basta ako masasbi ko na lang..
    matatalino mga Pilipino ngayun..
    at good luck sa kanya!!!
    basta ako..dito ako!!!
    [img]https://sarahgeronimo.com/uploads/ipb/style_emoticons/legacy/SG Picture Picture.png ][/img][img]https://sarahgeronimo.com/uploads/ipb/style_emoticons/legacy/SG Picture Picture.png ][/img][img]https://sarahgeronimo.com/uploads/ipb/style_emoticons/legacy/SG Picture Picture.png ][/img]
  • edited 9:00PM
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh just shut your pie-hole Madrigal...puro ka dada...wala ka namang nagagawa sa bansa. people like you sa government makes me sick!
  • edited February 2010

If only I can comment dun sa article in the inquirer, I already did so....IAADVICE KO LANG SANA KAY MS MADRIGAL, TO PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON THEIR OWN CAMPAIGN ...EACH TO HIS/HER OWN. LEAVE OTHERS......STOP CRITICIZING EACH OTHER. DOING WHAT SHE IS DOING, ONLY SHOWS WHAT IS HER CONCERN....PURO BATIKOS SA KAPWA. ANG PANGIT SA PANDINIG NA 'MISTAKE' WHEN SHE SOUGHT MS. JUDY ANN'S HELP WHE SHE RUN FOR SENATOR. ANO KAYANG MA-FEEL NI JUDY ANN? [/quote]
    mind your own business miss madrigal....dont forget na malaki ang naitulong
    ni judy ann kaya kayo nanalo as senator before.....nakilala kayo ng
    masa dahil kay judy ann yon po ang totoo....kaya kung let say si senator
    villar ay kinuha sina sarah - willie and dolphy to endorse him karapatan nya
    yon.....
    chakaness to si madrigal....

nagpapakamalinis...as f naman hindi sya gumamit ng celebrity dati...

walang utang na lood ke juday...
    ,tnx po for sharin'

^.^
    thanks for sharing
  • edited February 2010
    Grendaizer wrote on Feb 15 2010, 01:22 AM:
    Wag niyo masyado seryosohin si JAMBY MADRIGAL... may sayad na yata yan... wala ng bukam bibig MANNY VILLAR... obsessed na kay MANNY VILLAR.
    laugh.gif alt=':lol:' ] wagi ang comment! spoton.gif alt=':T' ]

this is one of the bajillion things i don't like about Philippine Politics, mud-slinging.
    politicians spend more time looking for something that's wrong with the other candidates, than planning their platform for the country. nono.gif

go to the mountains and plant camote. we don't need that crap.
    [color="#FF00FF"][font="Comic Sans MS"][size="2"]thanks for sharing poh....[/size][/font][/color]

happy.gif