46 replies to this topic

#1 kristia^

kristia^

Platinum

• Pip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

I have been a PC user my entire life.

Recently, I've been looking at Macs and I wanna switch.

I've never heard of anyone who uses a Mac who doesn't like it.

I'm hesitant because I'm very comfortable with working with PCs especially with shortcuts and keystrokes.

I really don't need to make the switch. Macs just look prettier and seem more user-friendly.

Learning a new system won't be a problem but I'm just thinking would it be worth making the switch?

So, Mac users, please share your experiences with Macs and give advice.

Should I switch to a Mac or not?

#2 adeno

adeno

Guardian

• Super Admin
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:24 AM

One of the more common questions from PC users thinking about Macs :p

A few factors come into play when considering switching from Windows systems to Mac systems.

1. What do you primarily use the computer for?
- Games? Macs have generally been known to NOT be gaming machines. In that, I mean they are not equipped to handle the newest batch of games coming out at the present moment. They MAY be able to handle older games though.
- Graphics/Multimedia? Both the PC and the Mac have strong points here, although Macs have been touted to be excellent multimedia processing machines, as these are what they are generally made for.
- Documents/E-mail/Word Processing? Even your 10-year-old desktop computer can handle this, as documents don't require much processing power at all.

2. Concerned about upgrading?
- Mac hardware is generally LESS upgradeable than PCs, although since Macs began using Intel processors, this has changed. With a PC, you can upgrade practically any part to keep up on the edge of technology, not so much with Macs.

3. Software compatibility?
- What runs on Windows will only run on Windows, while what runs on Macs only run on Macs, right? Nope. There's software out there which will let you run Windows programs WHILE using the Mac OS (namely, Parallels, VMWare Fusion, Crossover). So you can have your beloved Windows app while using Mac OS X.
- Also, most major software packages do have a version for Macs, like Microsoft Office (latest version is MS Office 2008 for Mac). There are also alternative solutions for different software packages, like the freeware Neo Office (open-source version of MS Office).
- Viruses. These things plague Windows like crazy, simply because it's the most popular operating system and hackers have found ways to create the right programs to rip it apart. Macs, however, are not as prone and are generally more secure out-of-the-box. Personally, I don't have an anti-virus as I have no need to use one.

4. Style and Looks?
- PC machines look blah for the most part :p while Macs tend to have a more elegant look. For most people this isn't an issue, as the machine can be put under the desk or something. Comparing operating systems, Windows XP has a decent look which is highly customizable. Windows Vista has a more glossy and pretty UI. Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) looks great too. If looks really matter, don't worry, as there are ways to customize your desktops to look the way you want. But I personally like the layout and the look of the Mac OS X desktop. It took time for me to remember that there's no Start Menu, but with a whole dock of icons of your commonly used programs, I didn't need one ;)

So, overall, knowing if a Mac is for you, depends on what you look for in a comp. Apple generally tends to price their products a degree higher than most vendors, but if the Mac system fits what you're looking for, the price is worth it. I've used both PCs and Macs, and I've stuck with Macs more lately. Most of my Windows apps can be run in the Mac system, so switching was easy ;)

:peacecirclesmaller:

#3 sarah_geronimitis_patient

sarah_geronimitis_patient

Sarahddict

• 9,410 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:26 AM

i'm not a Mac user myself, but given the thousands of bugs from PC (God forbid we switch to Vista), i'm also thinking about switching. my only prob is if the apps i have are compatible with Mac. i'm too lazy to check. hehe! maybe i'll wait for my laptop to give up on me, then i go buy a MacBook.

i guess if you don't have any PC-reliant apps (for work or school), it's worth a shot. after all, the Mac guy on those commercials is starting to look pretty hot to me. :lol:

ps. the prev post mentioned virtual machines that can run windows on mac os... it might take a little more time to get used to it, and not all features on your apps may be supported, but if it's for personal use, i guess it's something you won't mind. personally nga lang, i try to avoid virtual machines kasi i prefer the familiarity of my settings as when i'm using a windows-based system. hehehe! arte. :p

#4 kristia^

kristia^

Platinum

• Pip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:34 AM

thanks for the summary kuya ton! :)

i've done so much research on this it's getting pretty ridic hehehe. i think i'm really leaning towards making the switch. not to mention, i drove 40 miles just to go visit the apple store last weekend. :11sgMuni:

now all i need is the moolah. hehehe.

ate beng:
that justin long guy? hehe he looks lanky to me but cute in a way. he's dating drew barrymore i think.

let's switch na! hehe

more suggestions and sharings are definitely welcome! :48sgBungi4:

#5 Joe

Joe

12X Platinum

• 3,717 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Biggest reason to switch to a mac..... Sarah!... she's using one! hehehe....

#6 kikay21

kikay21

Gold

• 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

I'm a MAC user and I pretty much have an easy time with. I don't have to worry about viruses and it's not a hassle. Switch to a MAC...it's the best or I'm just biased. I've had no problems with it since I've had it.

#7 adeno

adeno

Guardian

• Super Admin
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:20 AM

There is truth to this statement, though it wasn't my primary reason for switching :belat:

I discovered the way of CONVERTING a custom built PC to run Mac OS... and that began my journey into understanding how Macs work. Talk about a time consuming hobby... it took me somewhere around 7 weeks to get it right and so my DELL laptop became what is known as a "hackbook pro"! Haha

:48sgBungi4: :peacecirclesmaller:

#8 Joe

Joe

12X Platinum

• 3,717 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

There is truth to this statement, though it wasn't my primary reason for switching :belat:

I discovered the way of CONVERTING a custom built PC to run Mac OS... and that began my journey into understanding how Macs work. Talk about a time consuming hobby... it took me somewhere around 7 weeks to get it right and so my DELL laptop became what is known as a "hackbook pro"! Haha

:48sgBungi4: :peacecirclesmaller:

nice one adeno!...

although still using a lenovo laptop (formerly known as IBM) for the office and a taiwan/china made laptop at home, I'm starting to lean on the mac, specially now that they are using intels architecture.... ( imagine steve jobs, bowing down, and acknowledging the mistake, although never admitted publicly that they got late using intel)

#9 Scully

Scully

7X Platinum

• 2,335 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

^ sheesh. mad computing skills you have there adeno. hack master. heheh...

me, i want a mac. was supposed to get one last year, but we got new laptops for work. hirap naman na dalawang systems gamitin.

#10 adeno

adeno

Guardian

• Super Admin
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:12 AM

The whole premise of moving to the intel architecture is what brought to life the ability for people to USE Mac OS on regular PCs... I still have a "Hack Pro Lite" at home that I use as my main desktop which runs OS X 10.5 Leopard (the latest in the OS X line) flawlessly. And wouldn't you know it, after some time I learned to love Macs :p

I've heard of so many people attempting to "Mac their laptops" and succeeding, and so many also failing. It makes for a nice hobby though :p

Lenovo (IBM) makes excellent business laptops and are quite durable also. If I could afford it back then, Lenovo would have been my choice for my first laptop and not DELL. Then I would have installed Mac OS on it later down the road :48sgBungi4:

:peacecirclesmaller:

#11 sarah_geronimitis_patient

sarah_geronimitis_patient

Sarahddict

• 9,410 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

korek ka dyan Joe! :T
i have a lenovo rin, windows-based. it's the bulky one, N100? got it so cheap from a post-Thanksgiving sale. hehe!

kuya ton, dapat pala pina-hack ko sayo yon no? then i coulda/shoulda/woulda running on leopard right now. :D

#12 kristia^

kristia^

Platinum

• Pip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

speaking of post-Thanksgiving sale ate beng, do Apple stores have great sales on black friday? i never notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users