Photo

What we can learn from the rumors surrounding Sarah Geronimo (03Aug12)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveSarahGee2425

ILoveSarahGee2425

8X Platinum

• 2,658 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

After the end of Sarah Geronimo and Gerald Anderson’s union hit the news, the rumor mill buzzed that it was her allegedly over-protective mom who caused the fall-out. This is an open letter for 20-something girls.

What we can learn from the rumors surrounding Sarah Geronimo 
EXISTENTIAL BLABBER By Kara Ortiga
 The Philippine Star Updated August 03, 2012 12:00 AM

I apologize in advance if this letter is bound to sound like it was based on hear-say from the gossip kings and queens of this metro—it is. But talk is what makes a public persona and the public persona is what fans devour. It might not be true but this is the perception they’re getting anyway, the perception that they’re emulating. This letter, then, is not addressed to Sarah Asher Tua Geronimo but to “Sarah G.”
There are two things I would like to talk to you about. One is regarding your childhood, and the other one, adulthood. We make the most of whatever childhood is given to us, because we have no control over it, being unable to fend and think for ourselves at a young age. In an ideal world, every child is provided for, and this is the chance we have to discover, to learn, and to make mistakes.
Yes, this is the part of our lives where we are likely to be at our most unknowing and vulnerable, thus the need for protection from people with more experience. But it is also the time to enjoy the small stuff. As a child, small things are magnified and instantly become sources of simple joys. Nothing can be as simple, sincere, and uncomplicated in the world of a child. Even fear is uncomplicated. 
The industry you work in—and really, life—will always be complicated, messy, and controlling. We wish you could embrace your adulthood more and give yourself far more credit than you allow. Standing up for yourself, being your own woman, doesn’t make you a bad child.
For example, say you want to buy an expensive bag but your mother says “no” because it is a waste of money—kindly hold her hand and tell her that this is money that you yourself earned and worked hard for. That the bag is pretty, and you would really like to buy it.
If, say, you like a guy, and your mother is cock-blocking him via all platforms acceptable in 20th century courting (texting included), and sets them as rules for a test of “true love”—sit her down, look her in the eye, and tell her that “true love” cannot be defined by a set of rules. Rules only measure persistence and perhaps determination, but love cannot be seen, or felt, anywhere in the equation.
Know that you are 24, and that the legal adult age in most of the world is 21 (in the Philippines, 18). And though I believe most of the time, that age doesn’t matter, in this case, it’s the only objective point I have to lay out for you: you are old enough.
Know that you are a working girl, and that working girls that earn their own money have also inadvertently earned the right to choose how to spend their money. What more, hold their own money.
Yes, respect your mother and father. No one is questioning your obedience. But also remember to think of yourself and your own happiness. Because what they impart to you as protection, may actually prevent you from gaining lessons that you should have learned for yourself, and rewards you probably deserved a long time ago.
Most importantly, love yourself a little bit more, as much as the many fans who are lovingly and worriedly keeping an eye out for you
Love,
source: http://www.philstar..../ysarticle.aspx

#2 sarsmiami

sarsmiami

12X Platinum

• 3,626 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for sharing. It is very nice article

#3 Gabe

Gabe

Champion

• 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thanks for sharing!

This is just an impulse response after reading this letter.

To the Author:

You are looking at this on a street level view on one angle. Try looking at this on an aerial view and you will see a different perception.

I am a parent, old enough and raised a 27 year old daughter which I am very proud of. I am telling you that there is no right way to raise a child, it is just the style the parents wanted to raise their child. They have the sole descretion on this.

Having said that, let me ask you some questions. Do you think we will have a SARAH GERONIMO that we love so much if Delfin and Divine raised her on a different style? Do you think that Delfin and Divine don't want SARAH to be happy? Do you think that the GERONIMOS choosed to have the life that they have right now or they've been forced to be by certain events designed by the ALMIGHTY? Do you even believe that DESTINY is already written? Do you believe that GOD is taking care of everything? Do you believe that everything happens for a reason? I could go on for a bit but, this is the last one for now. Do you really believe that evrything will be okay if SARAH does all your suggestions?

Me if anybody will ask, I will take the family side. Number of years is not a base to tell the maturity of a person. SARAH was rasied in a busy and well protected invironment (by circumstance). She is just starting to be self aware at her age, that is why she needs her family to protect her from the negative forces out there. Lets give her more time to grow more wings and we'll let her go, believe me, parents knows.

Let's just express our support for SARAH and please, RESPECT what her family wants to do with their lives. I also believe tha WE........, all love SARAH that is why we are expressing our concerns, opinions and suggestions.

PEACE to evryone and DOD BLESS!

#4 ate G

ate G

Popster

• 7,496 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for sharing the nice article.

#5 Loislane46

Loislane46

Champion

• Rising Jr. Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

@ Mom GABE...thank you for your enlightening post...as always a mother knows best...

I have said time and again, Sarah is her own woman...this is my belief and this is what I see in her. She has been making decisions contrary to the norms of the world she's been in for almost ten years...and somehow, that i guess, serves as unacceptable by some sectors and remains a mystery to some spectators on how Sarah can keep her VALUES INTACT and PRIORITIES IN SIGHT, yet, manage to STAY ON TOP in this world where intrigues seem to be one's passport to fame. Those who have been arguing that Sarah's obedience is a sign of her weakness and thus a detriment to her happiness, just want to see Sarah fail...and couldn't wait to gloat.

This continuous attacks on Sarah's values and choices have proven to be both scary and a let down (esp. from those claiming to be parents) Imagine the kind of message we're sending to our youth? Equating independence by going against your parents? Defining happiness by being with a man who has been saying, 'no turning back",yet, obviously had set a timetable for courtship and chose not to stay beyond six months?

If Gerald is the indeed the kind of man we saw in the past six months...then, there would be no issue at all...

Edited by Loislane46, 08 August 2012 - 08:29 AM.

#6 rsv_18

rsv_18

Triple Platinum

• PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

tama naman yun article may point din...hindi na baby si SARAH para hindi nya matutunan to speak for herself....and anuman sobra nakakasama.

#7 Grendaizer

Grendaizer

6X Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

yun nga ang point... 24 na si Sarah... more or less alam na niya ang ginagawa niya.

kayang kaya ni Sarah suwayin ang parents niya kung gugustuhin niya ... nasa kanya lahat ng power... siya ang kumikita... pero hindi niya yan ginagawa... and it takes a lot of maturity to do that.

Kung sa tingin niya hindi pa siya handa... i respeto natin yun.

Parents will be Parents.

Alam naman ng magulang niya siguro na kapag sobrang sinakal ang bata ay maaaring magrebelde yan.

#8 iyah_ronquillo

iyah_ronquillo

Gold

• 209 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

yun nga ang point... 24 na si Sarah... more or less alam na niya ang ginagawa niya.

kayang kaya ni Sarah suwayin ang parents niya kung gugustuhin niya ... nasa kanya lahat ng power... siya ang kumikita... pero hindi niya yan ginagawa... and it takes a lot of maturity to do that.

Kung sa tingin niya hindi pa siya handa... i respeto natin yun.

Parents will be Parents.

Alam naman ng magulang niya siguro na kapag sobrang sinakal ang bata ay maaaring magrebelde yan.

tama!:)

#9 Loislane46

Loislane46

Champion

• Rising Jr. Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

This continuous attacks on Sarah's values and choices have proven to be both SCARY and a LET DOWN (esp. from those claiming to be parents) Imagine the kind of message we're sending to our youth? Equating independence by going against your parents? Defining happiness by being with a man who has been saying, "no turning back",yet, obviously had set a timetable for courtship and chose not to stay beyond six months?

If Gerald is the indeed the kind of man we saw in the past six months...then, there would be no issue at all. Enough questioning Sarah's ability to make decisions, for doing so,is actually an offense to her state of mind ...Yet no one's questioning the dignity of his words and actions?....Well, I do.

Edited by Loislane46, 09 August 2012 - 02:32 AM.

#10 rosary

rosary

Double Platinum

• PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

This continuous attacks on Sarah's values and choices have proven to be both SCARY and a LET DOWN (esp. from those claiming to be parents) Imagine the kind of message we're sending to our youth? Equating independence by going against your parents? Defining happiness by being with a man who has been saying, "no turning back",yet, obviously had set a timetable for courtship and chose not to stay beyond six months?

If Gerald is the indeed the kind of man we saw in the past six months...then, there would be no issue at all. Enough questioning Sarah's ability to make decisions, for doing so,is actually an offense to her state of mind ...Yet no one's questioning the dignity of his words and actions?....Well, I do.

Amen to that!

#11 rosary

rosary

Double Platinum

• PipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

The Faith to Persevere

by Oswald Chambers

Because you have kept My command to persevere . . . — Revelation 3:10

Perseverance means more than endurance — more than simply holding on until the end. A saint’s life is in the hands of God like a bow and arrow in the hands of an archer. God is aiming at something the saint cannot see, but our Lord continues to stretch and strain, and every once in a while the saint says, “I can’t take any more.” Yet God pays no attention; He goes on stretching until His purpose is in sight, and then He lets the arrow fly. Entrust yourself to God’s hands. Is there something in your life for which you need perseverance right now? Maintain your intimate relationship with Jesus Christ through the perseverance of faith. Proclaim as Job did, “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him” (Job 13:15).

Faith is not some weak and pitiful emotion, but is strong and vigorous confidence built on the fact that God is holy love. And even though you cannot see Him right now and cannot understand what He is doing, you know Him. Disaster occurs in your life when you lack the mental composure that comes from establishing yourself on the eternal truth that God is holy love. Faith is the supreme effort of your life— throwing yourself with abandon and total confidence upon God.
God ventured His all in Jesus Christ to save us, and now He wants us to venture our all with total abandoned confidence in Him. There are areas in our lives where that faith has not worked in us as yet— places still untouched by the life of God. There were none of those places in Jesus Christ’s life, and there are to be none in ours. Jesus prayed, “This is eternal life, that they may know You . . .” (John 17:3). The real meaning of eternal life is a life that can face anything it has to face without wavering. If we will take this view, life will become one great romance— a glorious opportunity of seeing wonderful things all the time. God is disciplining us to get us into this central place of power.

------------------------------------------------------

When I read this article, It crossed my mind that maybe this is the kind of faith that Sarah have to endure every trial in her life. I pray to God that He will continue to grant her this kind of faith, and not to waver and to continue to stand up for Jesus! I still believe that whatever she decides now it is because she truly stood up for what she believes is right and not because of the people around her.

It saddens me when most of the people perceived this as otherwise. Seeing Sarah as the one not doing the right thing and being weak. I am not saying that the other people involved are the ones not doing the right thing. My point is, what ever the circumstances, still Sarah decides according to her conscience. With or without other people's influence.

I pray that the Lord will continue to guide her and grant her the grace and wisdom she needs as she continues to do his perfect will for her life.

Thank you @Gabe and @Loislane46 for your thoughts also. God bless!

Edited by rosary, 09 August 2012 - 05:16 AM.

#12 sgruckz

sgruckz

Platinum

• Pip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

@Gabe and @Loislane46 i so agree with you, you are definitely right...

Maraming nagsasabi na matanda na si Sarah and at 24 dapat ipaglaban niya ang gusto niya at mag-decide para sa sarili niya (even if it means going against her parents and their values), but do they really know what Sarah wants? Do these so called concerned people really know what can and will make Sarah happy? Are they really sure Sarah has not done her part and has not made her own decision yet when it comes to her personal life, much more her "lovelife"?...

It really saddens because some people (those claiming that they are a fan of Sarah no more because she can't fight for a man who they think is worthy of her even if it is very clear that it is that man who didn't and can't fight for her) can be very unfair and judgmental...

Fighting for a person you love doesn't necessarily mean going against your family... Going against your parents will doesn't necessarily mean fighting for a person you love... Numbers are not the basis of maturity... Maturity is not in numbers... It is a state of mind... and it is, i believe, one trait that Sarah Geronimo has, ever since...

Kung sana lang may maturity rin ang mga taong nagsasabi na immature at walang backbone si Sarah, wala sanang ganitong usapin ngayon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users